Friday, July 1, 2011

Tribute to New Catalogue

Good afternoon, everyone!  You may find this blog entry to have a slightly different tone than previous ones.  That's because I'm not Kathy!  I'm her sister, Colleen.

As you all know, if you've been following Kathy's blog, she is off camping in the wilderness (translation: no internet).  That means she hasn't had the time or opportunity to post as often as she'd like.  Therefore, I've been asked to do . . . or harassed into doing . . . some occasional blog entries.  Hopefully, today's post passes her rather exacting standards!  lol  

So . . . it's July 1st, which is Canada Day here in Canada!  It's also the first day you can buy from Stampin' Up's newest catalogue . . . no matter where you live!!!  I'm not a demonstrator, but I have to say this latest catty is the best one yet!  (How do they keep making them better?)  The colors are gorgeous, the ideas for making cards are awesome, and I love how Stampin' Up showcased the punches and Big Shot accessories!  (Check it out for yourself at Kathy's site at http://www.inkinbythebay.stampinup.net/and you'll immediately see what I mean!)  

Anyway, as a tribute to the new catty, I cased a card displayed on the cover.  Here's my take on it:


First I cut textured cardstock at 4 1/4" X 11", and scored at 5 1/2".  (I didn't do the stamping until I had scored and folded the cardstock.  See next step.)


After scoring it, I stamped the florish from the "Elements of Style" stamp set randomly over the cardstock using Chocolate Chip ink.  


 Next, I randomly stamped the same stamp over plain white paper, cut at 5 1/2" X 3 1/2".  (Yup, I didn't have any designer paper I thought was appropriate so I just made my own.  hehe)


Then I "dirtied" up the paper by squashing it into a ball, flattening it out, and then sponging it with Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, and Chocolate Chip ink.  I finished this step by tearing the two long edges of the paper.


I then cut a thin strip of designer paper, measuring 5 1/2" by about 2".  I tore and sponged the edge with Chocolate Chip ink, and used my paper-piercing tool and mat pack to put a row of holes along the sponged edge.  (The piercing is hard to see in the picture.)


Next, I used snail adhesive to adhere the two pieces, and then wrapped a piece of Cherry Cobbler seam binding along the bottom.  I glued this piece onto the cardstock base.  (Warning: Only glue the bottom edge, since you'll want to slip some elements under the top section later.)


I tore a piece of plain paper into a sort-of oval shape.  I dirtied it up using the same technique, ink, and sponges as I did on the paper above.  Then I used a Cherry Cobbler marker and the spritzer tool to randomly splatter spots on the paper.  I finished this element by stamping the flower from the "Elements of Style" stamp set in Cajun Craze.  (So it wouldn't be too bright, I first stamped the image onto scrap paper and then onto my oval.)


Next I punched a piece of Cajun Craze cardstock using the Decorative Label punch.  I sponged the top edges using the same color ink.

I glued the two elements together and tucked them carefully under the fake designer paper, securing them and the top of the paper with snail adhesive.


I stamped a butterfly from the "Bliss" stamp set onto a scrap of Whisper White cardstock.  I cut it out and put three pearls along the body.

I stamped one of the stamps from the "Four Frames" stamp set onto Very Vanilla cardstock.  Then I used Wild Wasabi, Regal Rose and Tangerine Tango markers to color the flowers.  I also used my Stamp-a-ma-jig to place the little "for you" from the "Happy Moments" stamp set.


I glued everything else onto the card, adding pearls on the element on the top of the card and an antique brad in the middle of two loops of Cherry Cobbler seam binding to make a bow.  I backed the brad/bow combo with a 1/2" circle.  I popped up the butterfly, sentiment and the brad/bow combination with dimensionals.  And ta da, it's done!

Well, I'm finished my very first blog entry . . . and it only took me three . . . okay, maybe four hours to make the card and type this post!  I have a whole new appreciation for what Kathy does!  And now I'm going to lie down for a while and try to get my fingers to uncramp.  lol

And in true "Kathy" style, goodbye 'til next time and new catty stylish butterfly flowery antique hugs!  (That's not as easy to do as I thought it would be. lol) 

1 comment: