Sunday, August 7, 2011

Faux Mother of Pearl revealed!

Hello, everyone!

If you are joining Kathy's blog for the first time, she's knee-deep in camping and wedding preparations, so I'm her pitch-hitter . . . and sister . . . Colleen.

At the end of my last post, I mentioned that my husband made a casual comment when he saw my last card . . . the "Man" card (see previous posting).  His comment was, "Why did you go to the trouble of making such a pretty background and then cover it up with stamped images?"  Okay, that's not word for word what he said (I don't think "stamped images" is in his vocabulary), but it's the general idea.  So, that got me to thinking, and I ended up making my mother a birthday card that started with a piece of Faux Mother of Pearl.

I mean that literally, by the way.  I started with a piece of cardstock left over from the last card, and slowly added to it bit by bit until I ended up with this:


I started with a piece of Basic Black cardstock cut at 8 1/2" by 5 1/2", and scored at 4 1/4".  (I've typed that so often lately I think I could type it in my sleep. Hmmm, might be time for another shape for the next card.  lol)  I then cut a piece of Pretty In Pink cardstock 5 1/4" by 4", and used the Finial Press Textured Embossing folder (page 219 in the Idea Book & Catalogue [IBC]) to fancy it up.


Next I cut a piece of Basic Black cardstock 3" by 4 1/4" and a piece of Brushed Gold cardstock (page 181 in the IBC) slightly smaller.  On two sides I used Snail Adhesive (page 206) to adhere two scrap pieces of Chantilly Crochet Trim (page 194).  (Why use a long piece when only a bit of it is going to show?  I like to think of myself as frugal, rather than cheap!  lol)


Then I used Black Emboss Powder (page 201) to emboss an image from the Bliss stamp set (sorry, no longer available but the Style Beautiful stamp set [page 140] or any other large image would work well) onto the Glossy White cardstock I had altered using the Faux Mother of Pearl technique.  (See the previous posting for more details.  That will also explain the meaning behind the three colors of ink in the picture below.)  That cardstock measures 3 1/2" by 2 1/4", and is layered onto a piece of Basic Black cardstock cut slightly larger.


Lastly, I stamped the small flower from the Bliss stamp set onto a scrap of Whisper White cardstock.  I inked it with Pretty In Pink ink and then went along the edges and up the middle with a Rose Red marker.  I also used a Versamarker (page 203) and Clear Emboss Powder (page 201) to "shiny-up" the image.  I finished it with a Pearl (page 198) in the center.  (The pearl I used was from the old Pretties Kit so I adhered it using a Mini Glue Dot [page 206].  The pearls in the Jewels: Basic Pearls [page 198] have adhesive on the back.)


I layered everything, and popped up the flower with a Dimensional (page 206), and, voila, a casual comment resulted in a pretty card!

'Till next time, casual hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment