Wednesday, October 5, 2011

French Foliage and a New Photo Tutorial

Good day Inky People!  Well yesterday was my DH's 60th Birthday and while he was working I was busy making a homemade Chocolate cake.  Yep from scratch!  But I have a secret weapon - a no fail recipe that has stood the test of time, all 38 years of marriage.  I make a Miracle Whip Cake for him every year because he likes a dense cake (and chocolate) and this one fits the bill perfectly.  The cake only has six ingredients also, so quick and easy.  Just my style.  (nice segue (seg-way) into my new card don't you think? lol)

I posted this picture on Stampin' Connection yesterday and got  a great response but I was asked for directions on how to make it.  So to help all those ladies that requested instructions and to also help you my viewers here is my photo tutorial.  I used French Foliage for my stamp set, Sponges, More Mustard ink, Old Olive, Pumpkin Pie and Cajun Craze ink.  Also some Versamark ink and gold embossing powder.  Here we go -

I used Very Vanilla for my base card.  I have some large post it notes so I also use them for masking. I find Grid Paper (102787) an absolute necessity for this masking technique. Here are all the colors for you.

I lined up my card on the grid paper and then put the first post it note in about three lines.  Then I counted over 8 lines and lined up the other post it note.  With the help of the grid paper my post it notes are even.  And because the glue on the post it notes spans the card it generally stays secure on the paper.

Starting with the first color, More Mustard, I sponged in small circles over the top of the card and down the side.  I find small circles works best and don't start on the card stock, start on the post it note and move on to the card stock, that way you won't have a blotch of ink and it's easier to blend.

The next color I added was Pumpkin Pie ink and again sponged and blended it into the More Mustard.

I followed that with Cajun Craze ink.  By this time it looks like crap but trust me in the end it will be go-jus!

This was the last color I added and it was Old Olive.  I sponged the bottom of the card and also just at the top, and a little down the side.  Still looking crappy but wait for it.....

I removed the post it notes and lookee - Yep it looks ok right?

I left it for a little while to dry as I needed the card as dry as possible so the embossing powder wouldn't stick in the wrong places.  Got out my versamark ink, stamps and embossing buddy!

This is what it looks like before the heat tool sets the embossing powder.  I stamped in a random manner on and off the strip of color. 

Then I heat set the embossing powder to get this fab-o shiny look.  Love it!

Next step.  Replace the card on the grid paper and line it up straight (very imp) Add the post it notes so that it lines up exactly with your sponged lines. 

Stamp in a random manner with Cajun Craze ink and the splotchy stamp provided in the French Foliage stamp set.
Then take the small Paris circle and ink it up in Old Olive and stamp on and off the card stock.

Remove the post it notes and ink up your sentiment with Cajun Craze.  I used the Stamp a ma Jig to place my greeting cause after so much work and time I wanted it straight! 


So that's it for today, I probably took too many photos but hey I was trying for the best way to explain it to you. lol.  Hope you enjoyed today's photo tutorial!  I also did this technique with the Stamp Sail Away.  Have a look for that under either the Stamp or the Photo Tutorial index on the right side of the blog.  Fall hugs for all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous!! Great tutorial of a truly beautiful card. I love the masking, the colors and the embossing - the whole shebang. Thanks for sharing your creativity, Katherine.

    ReplyDelete