Saturday, February 11, 2012

Humble Pie . . . Sort Of!

Good morning (running into the afternoon) everyone,

This is the Blog Hogger, aka Kathy's sister, coming to you with another post which will help contribute to my newly discovered humbleness.  (Is "humbleness" even a word?  lol)  It's not bad enough that I had to concede defeat in Kathy's and my Christmas card contest.  Now, after Kathy's wonderful post yesterday singing the praises of the Valentine's Day card I sent her, I have to confess the design for the card was CASEd (Copy And Share Everything) from a friend of mine.

Five ladies from this area get together every second Tuesday evening to make cards and laugh . . . and laugh . . . and laugh!  We call it our Carding Night!  (You definitely won't find "carding" in a dictionary, 'cause I know for a fact we made that word up.) Anyway, last Tuesday evening Wilhelmena made a beautiful, elegant card that, as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to CASE!  The only change was that I used the Red Glimmer Paper for the heart, while she had used Designer Paper (dsp).  Thank you, Wilhelmena, for your inspiration!

And now, since I absolutely, positively, and for certain sure hate to be humble I will toot my own horn and show you some other cards I've made lately.  lol

The first one is a Valentine's card I made for my youngest daughter:


I started with Pretty in Pink, Whisper White and Rose Red cardstock (cs).  Then I used some retired dsp for the background and a stamp set called The More The Merrier (also discontinued) for the main image.  I got the sentiment from the Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set and I used the Eyelet Border Punch along the edge of the Whisper White cs.

The flower was made using a scrap of Rose Red cs run through the Finial Press Textured Impressions Embossing Folder on my Big Shot, and then punched out using the 5-Petal Flower punch.  Then I layered a small Paper Daisy and a Pretty in Pink Flower Brad on top.

I colored the birds with markers, and because I love bling, I punch out three small hearts using the Owl Builder punch and Silver Glimmer Paper and glued them over some of the hearts in the stamped image.   (I know the Red Glimmer Paper is still available but wasn't able to find the silver in the Idea Book & Catalogue [IBC].)

This card would be easy to CASE using Real Red cs (instead of Rose Red cs), Red Glimmer Paper, and any coordinating dsp.  You could also use any stamp set appropriate for Valentine's Day.

The next card is the one I made for my oldest daughter:


It's very different from the first card, isn't it?  That's because my oldest daughter loves browns and olive green and, prefers  simpler cards.

This card was made using Confetti White cs for the base, and scraps of Old Olive, Crumb Cake and Chocolate chip cs for the leaves and owl.  Again the sentiment came from the Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set.  I made the owl using the Owl Builder punch, punching out a couple extra hearts.  I used a discontinued Embosslits Die for the leaves but you could use the Sweetest Stem one (which I actually like better than the one I have). Alternately, you could use the leaves from the Bird Builder punch.

I stamped the sentiment and drew a line around the inside the the card with an Old Olive marker and called it a day!  (Well, actually I called it a card . . . 'cause it is a card!  lol)

Okay, so now you know I can design my own cards, right?  But let's face it, CASEing is a wonderful thing, especially since they say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!  And by "they" I mean Charles Caleb Colton, the gentleman who originally said it. ( I love google!  lol)  

Before I finish this posting, I just want to say two things:
  1. I love, love, love the Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set! It looks so boring and blah in the IBC that I didn't buy it until one of my carding friends did. Once I saw how versatile it was, I had to have it!  Then I looked at it again in the IBC . . . and it still looked blah!  hahahaha  But I use it c-o-n-s-t-a-n-t-l-y!
  2. The Red Glimmer Paper is soooo wonderful to use! I just use a little bit of it on a card and it really adds the WOW factor!
(Oh no!  I'm starting to channel Kathy, the ultimate Stampin' Up Demonstrator!  Argggggggggggg!  lol)

So that's it for now.  Stay tuned 'cause I have a couple of non-Valentine cards to share soon . . . and because Kathy probably has some stuff to share too!  lol

No-such-thing-as-humble-for-me hugs,
Colleen


No comments:

Post a Comment