Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Spring Shadow Box Card

Good morning everyone,

It's the blog Hogger here, coming to you with details on how to make the Shadow Box card I gave Kathy for Easter. You know which one I mean . . . the one that topped the card Kathy made me! (Hey, I had to be sneaky in order to win but all's fair in love and cards, right? lol)

Today I made a similar card so I could do a photo tutorial for you.  Here's the view from the front:



And here's the view from the top:


So here are the details:

Cut two pieces of cardstock at 5 1/2" x 4 1/4". I used Bashful Blue cardstock (cs) for the outside and Whisper White for the inside.  Score both short ends on both pieces of cs at 1/2" and 1".


Cut out a shape in the middle of the Bashful Blue cs using the Labels Framelit Dies. I used the third smallest one.  (Hint: Use a Post-It Note to keep the shape in place when you run it through the Big Shot.)



Run the Bashful Blue cs through the Big Shot using the Finial Press Embossing Folder.  (That makes the score lines very faint, so you can score them again if you need to.)


Cut the Whisper White cs frame for the front, using the third smallest and next size larger dies from the Labels Framelit Dies.


Use the larger of the two frames to cut out the Window Sheet.  Here are the four pieces, all cut to size, that I used to make the card.


Lay the front onto the Whisper White layer, being careful to line up the two pieces of cs. Very lightly outline the bottom of the shape onto the inside layer. (This way you can determine the appropriate placement for the stamped image.)  Remove the outside layer, and stamp and decorate the inside layer.  Erase the pencil line.  (Hint: The legs on the fawn are not fun to cut out!  lol)


Attach the Window Sheet shape to the Whisper White frame using mini glue dots.  Attach the frame to the front of the Bashful Blue cs using mini glue dots.  (I tried to show the Window Sheet in the picture but, since it's clear, it's impossible to see.  However, the light from the flash bounces off it nicely!  lol


Fold the outside and inside sections towards each other, using the picture below for guidance.


Place Sticky Strip along the outside short edges of the Whisper White cs.  (By the way, it's easier to put the Sticky Strip on before you fold the score lines.)


Peel the backing from the Sticky Strip on one edge and carefully line up the edges with the top layer before securing. Do the same with the other side.  Decorate the front of the card with your sentiment, etc.  

I didn't put a sentiment on this card because I'm not sure what occasion I'll use it for yet.  (If you want to see where I put the sentiment on Kathy's card, check out the posting below.)  

Hmmm, maybe this will be my card for Mother's Day, Kathy!  (He he, this is an insider joke . . . that went to the world wide web during a previous posting!  Kathy and I are sooooo sisters!  lol)

If anything wasn't clear or you want more info on a particular part of the card, feel free to leave a comment and I'll respond.

Winning hugs,
Colleen

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! Thanks for the tutorial! :)

    Hugs,
    Karen C
    www.busybusyhoneybee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete