Sunday, February 10, 2013

Chocolates . . . Yum!!!

Hi there, everyone!

It's the Blog Hogger here with another Valentine's Day card.

Now I know I said yesterday that valentines were best in bunches, but that only applies when they are quick and easy cards to make! lol  Today's card took a lot longer to make, although most of that time was figuring out the details of the concept. If I had to redo it, I could do it much faster.

Anyway, the concept for this card was to replicate a box of chocolates and, after a fair bit of fiddling, I have a card I like! Yah! Although I'm using it for a Valentine's Day card, it could be put to use for pretty much any occasion since chocolate is always applicable!  Wait!!! I just realized I wouldn't use it for a "Good-Job-Losing-All-The-Weight" card unless the recipient had lots of willpower and a great sense of humor! lol

So, here's the card:




I used Chocolate Chip, Real Red, Very Vanilla and Crumb Cake cardstock (cs), and the only stamp used was a sentiment from the Teeny Tiny Wishes stamp set. I also used the heart folder from the Adorning Accent Folders, and the Word Window and Modern Label punches.

I wish I could give you the template for the bottom of the chocolate box but I did it freehand and can't figure out how to make it into a PDF. Sorry! I can tell you the front of the box measures 3 13/16" and the side is 1 1/4".

However, I can explain how I made the chocolates:
(1) I used Chocolate Chip cs which, let's face it, just makes sense! lol
(2) I used a White Gel Pen to replicate the white icing.
(3) The rectangular chocolates were made using a 3/4" x 1" piece of cs. I attached a scrap of cs to the middle of the rectangle to use as a handle and punched the edges with the 3/16" Corner punch.




After doing this, I cut the rectangles in half and hand cut the bottom edges of the chocolates.
(4) The cherry chocolates were made using the 3/4" Circle punch. I put a piece of cs most of the way into the punch.


(5) My favorite piece is the cherry chocolate that someone poked a whole in! Seriously, folks, it's pretty obvious that it would have been a cherry chocolate, so why poke it and let all that gooey goodness leak out! lol 



So, what I did was simply tear the side off one of the chocolates. Then I punched a 1/2" circle from Real Red cs and glued it to the back. The "gooey" part was made using Crystal Effects and a touch of Pretty In Pink ink. I mixed it together on a piece of waxed paper and put it on the chocolate using a toothpick. I left the rest of the mixture on the waxed paper overnight and scrapped it off with a sharp knife. It took on a slightly crystallized look which worked for this card.
(6) I finished the chocolates by sponging Chocolate chip ink around all the edges. (I also sponged the edges of the box.)

I'll finish this rather lengthy posting by giving you a few tips about using Crystal Effects:

  1. Use & store it at room temperature.
  2. Be careful to let it dry completely before handling. I often leave it alone overnight if I have used a thick layer of it. Let it dry for at least an hour if you've applied a thin coat.
  3. Don't shake it up because that causes bubbles to form.
  4. If the tip of the bottle becomes clogged, use a straightened paper clip to gently open up the hole. I always keep the paper clip in the hole between the times I'm using the Crystal Effects . . . while I'm working on a project. Once I'm finished that project, I put the cap back on. I keep the paper clip attached to the bottle with an elastic band so it's always easy to find. (I just took it off for the picture.)
  5. Never use a heat gun to dry it! It will cause bubbles to form!
So that's it for now, all you crafty people!

Gooey hugs filled with chocolate and other sweet things,
Colleen



No comments:

Post a Comment