Monday, August 12, 2013

Wow was I surprised!

Good day Inky ones!

It's been windy here in Corner Brook and because of that an idea blew into my head on Sunday! ( I need some kind of opening and couldn't think of a single one so this is what you get. lol.)

So my idea was because I had been gifted with a WHOLE week home I would throw an impromptu class and invite my stampers to a night of quick but beautiful cards.  I sent out the idea and the response was inspiring and surprising. 

I had planned to work with only one stamp set but now that I have a few more ladies coming I decided to use one more.  I am using Regarding Dahlias as my alternate stamp set. 

So today's card was inspired by Sharon Burkhert.  I saw a card she did using the Aqua Painter but decided to change it up and just use some old fashioned sponging.

Have a little look at what I came up with -

 
Actually I fibbed a little I used a stamp from Mosaic Madness and the leaf is from a new Christmas set called Joyful Christmas.  My problem?  I didn't have any leaves stamps since Fall Foliage was retired.  So I was left with a dilemma.  What to use for a leaf?  Oh a Christmas set!  Right!   I think it worked  rather nicely.
 
I used Wisteria Wonder for my main color and Elegant Eggplant for the complimentary color.  I Fussy cut out the large Dahlia and popped it up on Dimensionals.  This is a very simple and easy card to do. 
 
Have a look at the process I used to get the lovely color on the flower. -
 


 
First thing I did was heat emboss the Dahlia image in White embossing powder.  I hope you can see this image it is hard to photo white on white.
 
 
 
I used Pink Pirouette and a sponge to color the dahlia using circular motions and I started from the middle of the flower moving to the outside of the image.  If you start from the middle then it will be darker than the outside of the flower.  Make sense?  When it comes to sponging it's all about blending and layering! 
 
 
Then I added Strawberry Slush ink to the image over the Pink Pirouette.  Because I always started in the middle it automatically became darker.  I love it.  Now to make another card using the same layout.  Humm, seems like a reoccuring theme!
 
Well that's my share for today.  Were you able to follow the process?  What did you like about today's post?   Please leave a comment and let me know if I helped you today.
 
Spongy hugs! 
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Katherine, I love this card and it was very helpful for you to say how you achieved that beautiful color. I am going to try to make this card. I hope is comes out as wonderful as your did.
    Thanks,
    Barbara Cambron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Barbara, I find with sponging the trick is to do small circles and blend, blend, blend! Layering the color works really well. I think you could even add a yellow to the center and then play with the outside. I am sure you will have success with this. Check back and let me know how it turned out for you. Hugs

      Delete
  2. Katherine,
    Thank you for your email and mentioning my card. I love the way you colored the flower-it looks beautiful! Have a great class and thanks again,
    Sharon Burkert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sharon. I believe in giving credit where I can! BTW I love your site and will be checking back to see what you do!

      Delete