Sunday, March 23, 2014

It's SPRING!!!

Hi, everyone!

It's the Blog Hogger here, coming to you with an abundance of springtime cheer! Now, don't get me wrong. Here in our neck of the woods the only sign of spring is...well, me making a card that is enthusiastically spring-like! Otherwise, we are still up to our necks in snow and cold weather. But I think I saw a robin the other day! How exciting is that??? Of course, he was wearing a winter coat, boots, gloves, woolly hat, and a scarf! lol

Macleans.ca stated in their article "The Winter That Ruined Everything" that Stephenville had the most snow this winter in all of Canada. Yah! We win? lol Therefore, it's completely understandable why I went over the top when I made this birthday card for a close friend of mine. :)

Here it is:



Isn't it cheerful? There's space on the back for a personalized sentiment. Here are a couple more pictures:


This shows more of the side. The butterflies are attached to thin strips of clear acetate so they stand above the flowers and move slightly when you open up the card.


And this gives you more detail of the top elements. The shocking part is that the card folds flat so you can put it into an envelope!

I used a tutorial from Splitcoaststampers to make the box shape:  http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/popupboxcard/ The only change I made was to cut the flaps for the front strip (the section with the pink flower in the middle and the purple ones on each side) a bit smaller. I didn't find there was enough space between the two sections to showcase the flowers I chose. Check under the details given below for a note about the measurements I used.

And I have to give a huge shout-out to Kathy for introducing me to a Pop-Up Box Card. That's what she used for my Christmas card and it was absolutely gorgeous!!! Check it out here: http://inkinbythebay.blogspot.ca/2013/12/happy-new-year.html

Details;

  • This card fits into a standard A2 envelope, albeit extremely tightly. (I will be putting this one into a slightly larger envelope, but at least it gives you an idea of the size.) I used the measurements given at the bottom of the tutorial under "Variations" because I didn't have any 12" x 12" cardstock I wanted to 'ruin' on my first try doing this type of card. The joke ended up on me since it all worked out fine. lol
  • Stamp set: Secret Garden and On Your Birthday (for the sentiment)
  • Cardstock: Crumb Cake, Wisteria Wonder, Old Olive and Whisper White
  • Ink: Blushing Bride, Daffodil Delight, Old Olive, Melon Mambo (sponged on the edge of the pink section behind the sentiment) and Elegant Eggplant (sponged on the edges of the purple flowers)
  • Extras: Secret Garden Framelits, Little Leaves Sizzlits, Boho Blossoms (purple flowers) and Curly Label (sentiment) punches, markers (Basic Black for the centers of the yellow flowers, Melon Mambo for the centers and edges of the pink flowers), Rhinestone Basic Jewels, Dazzling Diamonds, clear acetate for attaching to the butterflies and Stampin Dimensionals
Flower-filled spring-like hugs,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment