Monday, September 5, 2011

Back To School Treat!

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow is "Back-To-School" time for teachers and students here in Newfoundland, Canada!  Since I'm a teacher (I work with children with hearing loss) I'll be heading back to work . . . with a smile on my face and a song in my heart!  No, really!  :)

Anyway, I hang my hat at our School Board's Regional Office.  We have a staff of around 30 and every September I make everyone a little "Welcome-Back-How-Was-Your-Summer-Did-You-Miss-Me?" treat!  lol  This year I chose to make an old-fashioned "slate" with an apple in one corner.

Check it out:


The treat part is that I will attach a mini peppermint patty to the back . . . so I guess you can tell this is a very small "slate", huh?  lol  The completed size is 2 1/4" x 1 3/4".  (I buy the patties at Costco.  They sell them in large containers.)

Here's how I made it;

(1) Gather together the following items: the Word Window punch, the 3/4" Circle punch, a White Gel Pen, Tombo Glue, an Early Espresso ink pad, a Sponge Dauber, Basic Black cardstock (cs), Crumb Cake cs, Real Red cs, and scraps of Old Olive and Chocolate Chip cs.

(2) Cut the Basic Black cs 2" x 1 1/2".  Punch out four shapes using the Word Window punch and the Crumb Cake cs.  Punch out a circle using the 3/4" Circle punch and the Real Red cs.  Cut out a small leaf freehand (I don't have a punch that cuts out a small enough leaf) and a small brown stem.  Sponge the edges of the Crumb Cake shapes using a Sponge Dauber and the Early Espresso ink pad.


(3) Glue the two side pieces on first.  (Only put a small amount of glue close to one side of the shape.  The back of the whole shape is not completely covered by the black rectangle since I didn't want the edges of the rectangle showing.  See the picture below showing the back of the project.)


(4) Then, again using only a small amount of glue along one edge, adhere the top and bottom shapes.


(5) Write the letters on the "slate" using a White Gel Pen.



(6)  Assemble your apple and adhere to the "slate".


And here's a sample of the 30 I made for work!  (I'm soooo glad I don't work at the head office!  They have way too many people working there!  lol)


Wishing you an "A"dorable "B"eautiful "C"aring day,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment