Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Vintage Color Block!

Hi everyone, it's the Blog Hogger again!

Today's card features the Vintage Wallpaper Folder. When I was playing around with my Soap Dish Card (previous posting) I attempted to replicate the horizontal brush strokes in the background of the soap dish in a couple of different ways.

The focal point for today's card features a "failed" attempt . . . although it could only be considered a failure in that it didn't give me the look I wanted at the time. I thought it was really striking and so decided to make a card around it.

Here's the card:


Now I'll walk you through some of the details. First I'll give you a closer look at the center panel.


The body of the card is More Mustard cardstock (cs) cut at 5 1/2" x 8 1/2", and scored at 4 1/4". The center piece is Daffodil Delight cs cut at 5" x 3 3/4". I swiped my More Mustard ink pad across the front (the side with the Stampin' Up logo) of the vintage Wallpaper Folder, actually being careful not to make it too perfect. When I ran it through the Big Shot with the Daffodil Delight cs inside this is what I got.

The "Color Block" part of the title for this posting is the way I bordered the center piece. You'll notice the border is part Real Red cs and part Very Vanilla cs. Here's a picture of the back showing what I did. Warning: The front looks way better than the back! lol


This gave me a chance to use up some scraps that were lying around from the last card I'd done. I haven't seen this done anywhere else and, since only a bit peeks out around the edges, I think the statement it makes is subtle, yet interesting.

Next I'll give you a close-up of the flower.


I used the Fancy Flower and Boho Blossom punches and an Antique Brad to make this.

Using the Fancy Flower punch I punched out two flowers using More Mustard, Daffodil Delight and Very Vanilla cs. I dampened them and then squished them into little balls. After I had straighten them out again (but not too flat 'cause I wanted the petals to look rumbled) I used my More Mustard ink pad to add some color to the edges. I wasn't particularly careful doing this since I wanted a "natural" look.

I built up the flower starting with one of the More Mustard flowers, adding a Daffodil Delight one and a Very Vanilla one, and then repeated it. I punched the center piece out of Real Read cs using the Boho Blossom punch. I carefully put a hole in the middle for the Antique Brad using the Paper-Piercing Tool and the Pierce Mat and then I arranged the petals to make the flower look more natural. (Remember to let it dry before you attach it to the card using Mini Glue Dots.)

Given the height of the flower, this will definitely be a personally-hand-it-to-the-recipient card, since otherwise I'd have to mail it in a box! lol

The last detail I'd like to point out is the butterfly. Take a close look at the beads in the center.


Not close enough? How about this?



Better? lol I used little gold beads I had lying around but then . . . and here's the genius part that only comes to me in the middle of the night when I should be asleep . . . I used Cherry Cobbler Dazzling Details on the tops of them! Depending on how you hold the card you can see the sparkly red or a hint of the gold bead! It's a little detail but I love it and the Dazzling Details seems to be really holding up well, even when I rub my finger over it.

Here's what it looks like on a Pearl Basic Jewel and a Rhinestone Basic Jewel:


The straight pin is the much-abused one I use with my Crystal Effects. In this case, I used it to spread the Dazzling Details around a bit.

Going back to the butterfly, I also used my Real Red ink pad to smudge up the edges and textured section of the butterfly, which was made using the Beautiful Wings Embosslit.

BTW, the sentiment is from the Elements of Style stamp set. The inside will read: And I am so glad to share this moment with you. Congratulations on (insert whatever moment is happening in the person's life at that, well, moment!) lol

Finishing off this rather lengthy posting, I adhered the flower to the card using 3 Mini Glue Dots and used Dimensionals to pop up the sentiment. I bend the butterfly in the middle and glued the right wing to the textured piece, making sure it was tightly up against the sentiment to be sure the left wing would give a 3-D effect. (Again, I'm planning on hand-delivering this card.)

Living in the moment hugs,
Colleen, aka the Blog Hogger

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful effect on the embossed background! I really like the colorblocking technique, too. Absolutely gorgeous card! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment! It's always nice to hear such positive comments!

    The Blog Hogger

    ReplyDelete