Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day from the Blog Hogger!

Hi there, everyone!

It's the Blog Hogger back after a long absence. I've recently been thinking about doing another posting but was told that today, since it was Kathy's birthday and Mother's Day, I was to make a posting! NOW!!! (Guess whose delicate voice I still hear echoing in my head . . . and she said it a few hours ago? Go on, guess! lol)

Actually, Kathy asked me to make a posting because I gave her a most fabulous card for her birthday and she wants me to share it with the world . . . or at least her blog followers. :)

Since this was a special birthday, and Kathy is a special sister, I wanted to really step up my game and try something I've never done before. I have one Stampin' Up item in my craft room that I've never used because I'm scared to death of it! What on earth could it be, you ask? Scroll down . . . way down . . . and you'll see what it is!

















Yup! I'm deathly afraid of my brayer! How do I use it and not have horrible lines everywhere? I have tentatively tried it a few times and always threw the resulting mess away, frustrated beyond belief!

This time, however, I decided to channel my inner Michelle Zindorf (the Brayer Queen), follow one of her tutorials, and take another shot at it. And guess what?! I did it! I made a gorgeous card! It's even better than Michelle Zindorf's!!!

Now, before you think I'm obnoxious and full of myself, I will freely admit that I'm not! No, really! I am very self-aware and know that I'm not conceited! I am, however, delusional! lol

Not only do I think I did a better job on the card than Michelle Zindorf did, in my head I also think I sing better than Adele! Unfortunately, something happens between my head and my mouth and the resulting sound bears no resemblance whatsoever to Adele's singing! Oh well. They say the first step to improvement is recognizing your issues! lol

Anyway, back to the card. Here it is:


I closely following Michelle Zindorf's Tutorial # 598: http://zindorf.blogs.splitcoaststampers.com/2013/04/18/fly-away-stampin-up-card-tutorial-598/

I used Whisper White, Basic Black and Marina Mist cardstock (cs). The only changes I made from the original are the stamps sets (Elements of Style, Sweet Summer and Secret Garden), the embossing folder and the ribbon. Otherwise I stuck to the tutorial.

This is also a first for me in that it's a 5" x 7" card. I usually go for the standard 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" size. Therefore, I also made my very first envelope (which is the Pumpkin Pie thing the card is standing on). Wow, what a day of firsts for me! lol

I enjoyed making the envelope so much that I made a complimentary one for her gift (a coupon to a local inn). Here's the front of it:


I found another great tutorial on making envelopes at Splitcoaststampers. It shows how to make envelopes of any size. Check it out at: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/anysizeenvelope/

Hey, I may not have been original today but I've sure been helpful! lol

Helpful hugs,
Colleen, aka the Blog Hogger & Kathy's sister

No comments:

Post a Comment