Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day! A Year long Project!

Hello there Stampers!

Tomorrow is Mother's Day as I  am sure all you Mothers know!  This year I struggled with my gift for my mom.  Not because I don't want to give her something but I didn't know what that something was.  As mom gets older (notice I DID NOT say old) she has so much and needs so little.

 Flowers came to mind, but my mom is a frugal soul and as much as I know she would enjoy their beauty for a little while, she would probably suggest it was money that I could use for myself. 

I could give her an Amazon gift certificate for books for her kindle (which I did), but for some reason I just wasn't satisfied with that.  My mom lives in Ontario and I don't get to see her as much as I would like.  I miss her all the time and wish we lived closer (as I do with my daughter and son who also live in Ontario).  I remember the times we would get a phone call and get invited to supper for no reason at all, except that she was cooking and thought it would be nice.

So, here's my idea.  Because she lives away and I can't hold her, I am going to make a little project for myself and mail her a card EVERY week for a year.  I will find something every week that I can tell her about how thankful I am to have her in my life. 

Finally, something that makes sense to me and requires love and dedication.  Something that mom has given me for almost 60 years.   (Oh I forgot to mention I have a huge birthday tomorrow also :O)  So here is Mom's card for the first week -

 
I was aiming for simple and I wanted the sentiment to be hand written.  I thought I had printed the sentiment straight but it is off just a bit, but you know what?  I tell all my stampers that if it was perfect no one would think it was handmade.  So because it is from me and I am a little flawed, I am letting it stay. 
 
The inside says " I thought of your smile!"  Not a bad start for the year.  Now to keep it up!  I will put this one in the mail on Monday! 
 
I used Real Red and Marina Mist and Basic Grey for my accent colors and Daffodil Delight for the card base.  I colored the stamp with Basic Grey and stamped it just above the Washi tape.  I colored the bird in Marina Mist and of course the little heart in Real Red.  I used the writing end of the Basic Grey marker and printed my sentiment.  I added a small 1/4" strip of Marina Mist to tie it all together. 
 
This is the first time I have used the new Washi tape and I have to say I like it.  It is re-positionable if you don't get it on straight.  Very easy and forgiving to work with.
 
Happy Mother's Day to all of you!
 
Carrie, Kathleen (my mom)  me and Miss Emily! 
 
Hope you like my share today! 
 
Loving hugs!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment